When I began evaluating new beauty box options, Ipsy stood out as being a mix between Birchbox and GLOSSYBOX. Like GLOSSYBOX, it seemed to have consistent favorable reviews. Like GLOSSYBOX, it also appealed to me based on the quality of the products, volume/size of the samples, and variety of the brands. There is a beauty profile feature, which seems pretty standard across the board.
Even though Ipsy sends out higher end brands, it does not have the same price point as GLOSSYBOX. Ipsy is another $10/month subscription box, and it sends 4-5 products each month in a unique bag. Yep, they actually send a glam bag out, and it matches the theme.
Bonus-wise, you get 10 points for each product review and 250 points for each referral. You can use these to select bonus items for upcoming Glam Bags. The ones displaying right now appear to be full-size, higher end products; several are palettes/kits. I think this is an important distinction for someone used to Sephora’s free bonus items or the Birchbox bonus shop.
A couple of things that make Ipsy stand out, right off the bat:
- There’s a large online community sharing and connecting over social media. When I log in, I’m greeted by a picture of the March glam bag and then a whole slew of reviews/looks created by other subscribers (including pictures). It creates a more personal connection and doesn’t feel like just another beauty website…
- …because it isn’t one. There’s not an online store where you can buy full-size products. Instead, you are redirected to product’s company website and given an Ipsy-specific coupon code to use when checking out. This might be annoying for some people who just want to go to a site and order their chosen products in one fell swoop. However, it gives Ipsy a lot more flexibility to connect with new retailers who may not want their products sold online through a middleman like Birchbox. It also ensures the consumer will be exposed to the full product line, rather than just a few selected products (I’m not aware of any company whose entire product line is available through, say, Birchbox).
And with that out of the way, on to the good stuff! My March bag featured the following:
- bareMinerals | Marvelous Moxie™ Lipstick in Get Ready
- Nicole by OPI | Roughles in On What Grounds?
- Be a Bombshell | Bora Bora Eyeshadow Quad
- Pixi Beauty | Flawless Beauty Primer
bareMinerals | Marvelous Moxie™ Lipstick in Get Ready
I loved this color. It’s the type of color that wouldn’t draw my eye in a store because it seems pretty basic; I tend to pick bolder colors. This lipstick has a smooth, creamy formula that isn’t drying. Unfortunately, it also wore off pretty fast and didn’t have much staying power. This will be a good one to throw in my bag, but I don’t see it becoming part of my regular beauty routine.
Nicole by OPI | Roughles in On What Grounds?
I love nail polish, but the idea of having sandpaper-covered nails does not appeal to me. These felt very gritty and just plain weird on my nails. I layered it over another polish because I hoped that would help it come off later; I worried the texture would lend to scrubbing my nails down with polish remover. I don’t think the color helped much. The blue looked like it had gravel/coffee grounds mixed in. I found the purple a little more appealing.
Check out that texture – and my unpainted toes down below.
Be a Bombshell | Bora Bora Eyeshadow Quad
I love eyeshadow palettes. I’ve never tried anything from Be a Bombshell, but I had high expectations from beauty blogs. I was impressed by the quality of the powder and the coverage. I wouldn’t have picked out these shades myself, but that just makes them more unique. I have a feeling this quad will get a lot of use in spring and summer.
Pixi Beauty | Flawless Beauty Primer
This is a primer. I’m really just getting into primers, so I don’t have much to say other than this had golden peach undertones and seemed to do its job.
Overall, I’m pretty darn impressed by Ipsy. This is my new favorite box – after just one shipment.
Any other Ipsy subscribers out there? What did you think of the March bag?
Disclosure: I am not sponsored by or compensated by Ipsy, but I do get a referral credit if you click on the links above.